Top 10 Things to Keep in Mind When Hiring a Builder
EXCELLENT WORK, INTEGRITY, PROFESSIONALISM and PARTNERSHIP
1. Make sure you see examples of their work, both overall shots and detail samples (or actual home visits).
2. Get references, read testimonials, check out Yelp and Angie’s list for feedback.
3. Make sure they are responsive during the bid process.
4. Make sure they are licensed, insured and bonded and that there are no legal claims against them.
5. Make sure you get along with the contractor and that he is flexible enough to get along with you and the team (builder, designers, sub-contractors, etc.)
6. Find someone who will really listen to your wants, needs and concerns and who will take the time to walk you through the process.
7. Make sure you work with someone who has opinions. There are many things a builder should bring to the table and one of them is experience and ideas about the best way to do something.
8. Make sure bids are comprehensive. The lowest bid sometimes is the lowest for a reason.
9. Make sure they use quality materials and work with experienced people.
10. Make sure there is a competent project manager on the job, this will save time and money.